Today, I Choose Fear

writer.filmmaker.musician.

Today, I Choose Fear

October 23, 2017 Lifestyle 30

Apparently, something happens when you start taking risks.
Living boldly become easier- almost even addicting, as time goes on.

Successful people have been saying this for a long time now: “Do one thing a day that scares you.”

Despite the numerous benefits boasted by those who take these risks, I don’t have enough hands on which to count just how many times I’ve heard this advice and done absolutely NOTHING about it. Anyone else?

It’s a great idea in theory- but in practice? Much more difficult.
Most days, I stay safe in the bubble of my comfort zone, thinking about all the awesome things I could be doing if I just put myself out there.

I’ve spent much of my life living in fear. I am prone to anxiety, and frequently deal with fear from various made-up scenarios in my head. It’s actually ridiculous. I’ll see an instagram post about a pregnancy announcement and then spiral into panic about the fact that one day in the very far future, I will be giving birth!!! Ridiculous. My brain is fun like that. But most of the time, I’m worrying about something that hasn’t happened yet and probably will never happen. If I’m going to be scared about some obscure hypothetical situation anyways, why not take a meaningful risk and be scared about that? There is nothing wrong with fear itself. The problem comes from allowing yourself to live in obedience to fear.

(designed with canva)

So today is a day that I have chosen fear. Today is a day to do something that scares me: start a blog.

I have been a DEDICATED journaler since I could write. These are just some of the journals I’ve filled up over the years!

I’ve grown to rely on writing as a means of catharsis, and have gotten through some of the most difficult events of my life by writing through them. I feel that it’s time I start sharing more of my ideas, even though it scares me.

Here are some reasons why this scares me:

1. I’m sensitive, and even just the thought of negative feedback sends me into a panic.
  2. I’m a relatively private person, and prefer to keep most things to myself.
  3. I care too much about what people think of me.

Here are some reasons why the above reasons do not matter:

1. If I live in fear of rejection my whole life, I will ultimately reject the life God wants me to live.
  2. “The value of emotions comes from sharing them, not just having them” (Quote by Simon Sinek). I have significantly benefited from the vulnerability of others, and want to be a part of that.
  3. I will not let my life be dictated by the fear of other’s opinions.

I think everyone experiences these fears, but not everyone overcomes them. I don’t want to live my life in the shadows of my dreams anymore, so if you’re reading along, thanks for being a part of my risk, however small it may be!

What risk can you take in your own life today?

30 Responses

1. Alisa says:

Beaufully written!!! I look forward to reading your journey!!!

• juliana says:

Thank you so much Alisa!! I really appreciate it.

• Erin says:

I have never felt so much like someone else was speaking MY thoughts. I am literally in tears at both knowing that I’m never alone in my feelings and thoughts, and also that someone has had to go through the pain of feeling what I have felt. Love you and admire you so very much! <3

2. Sofia says:

Congrats on starting something amazing today & for feeling the fear yet doing something while you’re afraid!
    Look forward to many more posts & those beautiful photos you somehow to take of the most mundane things!
    Xoxo
    Your biggest fan!

3. Marla Allen says:

Way to go, sweet Jules. So proud of you. What a brave soul you are. Love you tons!!!

4. Alison says:

This was thought provoking…Thank You!
    Can’t wait to hear some more. ❤️

5. Jessica Cornelius says:

So proud of you!😘

6. Jay says:

The “risk” i can take is to finish some passion projects (which means saying no to paying projects) and trust the passion projects will bring the finances when they are done!! SCARY but today I choose fear.

7. Casey Kral says:

❤️❤️ amazing I will be reading these as soon as you post them! Miss ya

8. 💕Loved ready your blog Juliana. Very insightful and thought provoking.🤔 Thank you facing your fear and for sharing it with us :)👍🏻

9. Rachel Ramsey says:

This is amazing! I am so blessed by what you shared. I can’t wait to read more.

10. Gina says:

I’m glad you chose fear 😉. This was beautifully written and I look forward to reading more.

11. Christy Semsen says:

Hey- we are similar. Actually quite similar. And very well written!

12. Mark McGrew says:

Congratulations. Fear is like a disease and can consume your life. Always face your fears…head on. Live YOUR life, not others perception of what it should be.

• juliana says:

Love how you worded that. It really does feel like an illness. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it & agree with everything you said!!

13. Olivia Fernandez says:

Juliana! This is incredible!! I’m in a similar situation right now, I recently started a blog after having wanted to for a long time, but the idea of my thoughts and feelings being out there makes me so anxious. This is really impressive though, inspired me to get back to mine!

• juliana says:

Awww!! Thank you so much Olivia!! I completely understand you. I was terrified after posting this for about the first five minutes. But it’s crazy how much of adrenaline rush you get from being vulnerable and sharing with others. Send me the link to your blog when it’s up!!

14. Grandpa says:

Juliana, I’m very proud and happy for you ! All my love !

15. Anonymous says:

So so good! Brilliant and passion filled. God’s overflow on this new journey! Love you spicy, brave Juliana❤️

16. I really like your writing style, excellent information, thanks for putting up :D. “Let every man mind his own business.” by Miguel de Cervantes.